I remember Evan said that range syntax was one of the things he was asked
most about from new coders. Not only "what's this?" but also "how do I make
a range, I couldn't find anything in the documentation."

Then one comes to realize that there are other problems with range syntax.
In addition to being more syntax to learn, and harder to discover through
documentation, it's also not as flexible as a regular function. Then you
also have to ask yourself if you use ranges enough that it actually
warrants its own syntax.