>  let-bound values can be given type annotations that reference type
variables from the top level

that's v thoughtful actually, I hadn't heard that before, just local
variables in any case, makes a lot of sense for tricky functions.

is this an elm specific creation or do you also see it in Haskell? (iirc,
never)

(what I wouldn't give for let-in in Python right now...)