A better way of putting this: Haskell's IO monad structures a particular
set of interactions with the outside world. By making all foreign
interactions go through tasks, Elm could use its task monad to structure
interactions with the outside world. The difference then is that Haskell
has more syntactic sugar around monads than Elm does.

Mark