I am totally wrong, but my opinion is that Elm is being designed to be a
long-term replacement for entire HTML/CSS/JS stack - also lovingly known as
the Hairball-Of-Hell, (or, just Hoh!)
There are a gazillion JS libraries for doing JS things in a
nicer-than-average JS way (React, Redux, Ember, Angular, Vue, etc, etc,
etc, etc,)
If you like that kind of thing - go ahead and use them, nothing is stopping
you!

But Elm is not trying to compete with those - instead it's founded an
entire New World - a new Planet - built on completely new foundations.
It's for those of use who have discovered that developing with the
Hairball-of-Hell is possibly the worst form of punishment ever devised by
those Old World mavens of medieval torture.
We're trying to turn the page on all that and build a beautiful fresh new
future for a whole new generation of developers to build on.
If that means ports and JSON decoders - I can live with that :)