That worked great, thanks!

I used elm-github-install to install the bsouthga/elm-katex package
directly from GitHub. I didn't have to rename my own local project. I only
need to fork bsouthga's project if I want to update it to use a newer
version of KaTeX.

I didn't want to install gems in my global system dir as root, so I
installed rvm and the latest version of Ruby. Then I did gem install
elm_install.

Unlike elm-package where you can specify a package name and it will
automatically update your elm-package.json, I had to manually add an entry
each to dependencies and dependency-sources, then run elm-install. Then I
was able to build my project with no problem, and everything worked.