Regardless of immutability, saying "this" imply a bound between the data
and the function, which is the very thing Elm wants to avoid.

So I think the systemic problem referred to here is "separation of data
and logic", and its incarnation (sort of) is the ability to say "this".

Now, is it actually a systemic problem ? My intuition is that it is the
root of many difficulties OO languages can have, even though it does not
seem like a problem at first.

Le 20/07/2017 à 09:55, Dave Ford a écrit :
> There is a line from the docs that I am trying to understand: "Elm
> encourages a strict separation of data and logic, and the ability to
> say |this| is primarily used to break this separation. This is a
> systemic problem in Object Oriented languages that Elm is purposely
> avoiding."
>
> What is the systemic problem being reference? Is it the [lack of]
> "separation of data and logic" or "the ability to say this"?
>
> I have been programming in Java (an OO language) for a long time. I can
> name dozens of systemic problems in the language. But the ability to say
> "this" is not one of them. Nor is it the commingling of data and logic.
>
> Please help me to understand what the author is talking about.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Side note: "this" /is/ a problem in JavaScript. But not in OO generally.

Christophe de Vienne