This might be an opinion-based question so I can't ask it on StackOverflow.
:-)

I have a trivial beginnerProgram using the Elm Architecture. It has two
text fields (HTML input elements), one for weight and one for height. The
onInput attributes of each generate a message. The update function accepts
the message and produces the new model.

The question is: Should the model (a) consist of the width and height only,
or (b) also include the computed BMI (width / height^2)? If the former, I
compute the BMI in the view function; if the latter, I would compute it in
the update function.

Does anyone have a lot of experience with Elm applications that would lead
them to believe that keeping models as small as possible and computing
derived data in the view function is better than making rich models? I
don't have enough experience with Elm to know. I sense that for a problem
as simple as mine it really doesn't matter (and I in fact got it working
both ways), but as I start scaling up my apps it would be nice to know if
there is best practice here (or not).