I know that this answer is coming late, but I had similar problem that I
needed to solve in my graph editor app. I wanted to draw boxes around SVG
text. I used ports to obtain the bounding box. Here's the gist of my
solution as github repo [2] and I also posted this in ellie [2] in case
anyone finds this useful.

I'd welcome suggestions for improvement if anyone solved similar problem in
some more elegant way.

[1] https://github.com/jhrcek/svg-bbox
[2] https://ellie-app.com/3WDzNWnMkYXa1/1