I ended up going the JS/ports route and it works fine now, so thanks for
the suggestion.

It was quite a shock going back to the catalogue of atrocities that is
Javascript after so long writing in Elm. It was like being thrown back into
a medieval time of druids and burning witches. Twenty lines of Javascript
caused me more pain than 700 lines of Elm.

One thing I came across which I haven't seen documented is the way to write
Unicode literals in Elm (I have to work with the Thai alphabet, which is at
\U0E00 on up.)

Anyway, Elm likes its Unicode literals as

gorgai : Char
gorgai = '\x0E01'