On Friday, November 17, 2017 at 1:25:02 PM UTC, GordonBGood wrote:

> The rational to depreciating these seems to be performance when applied to
> their limited use in tests and I see that, as I tried to make changes to
> Lazy that would improve its lack of performance when run on some JavaScript
> engines that handle internal functions calling functions very poorly.

Gordon, it took me a bit of digging through various docs and updates on
elm-dev to understand it, but... the rational for deprecating elm-core/lazy
with memoization, is that it allowed recursive structures to be created on
the heap, and all other ways in which that was possible have been
eliminated. This is all described here:

https://gist.github.com/evancz/07436448b7d6c947f21742dab46d1218

It seems to be partly motivated by making garbage collection simpler -
presumably with WebAssembly in mind. I honestly don't know much of a real
advantage that is, but it seems that was the trade-off decision that has
already been made.