On 04/02/18 21:15, David Ranch wrote:

Hello Everyone,

I have a question about this statement:

Kernel-ml has the retpoline patches but at present RHEL does not have a retpoline-aware compiler. The upstream kernel code (kernel.org) does not currently contain the IBRS patches that Red Hat have incorporated into the distro kernel.

Once a retpoline enabled compiler is available, will ONLY the kernel need to be rebuilt with it or will *ALL* packages need to be recompiled as well (from the Centos community, 3rd party packages, etc)?

You would need to address that question to the providers of those packages, but I have not seen any mention of anything other than recompiling the kernel.

I note SUSE have recently announced they have backported retpoline patches to gcc-4.8 which is of the same vintage as that used in RHEL7, so it appears feasible if that is a path Red Hat wish to take:

https://news.opensuse.org/2018/01/26/opensuse-meltdown-spectre-update-26-jan-2018/