> But the problem remains: too often I have to first mark a word or symbol,
    > copy the region, start a command (`grep', `occur', `query-replace',
    > whatever), paste it, press <enter>.  That's three keystrokes too many.

    How about making the thing at point be accessible via M-n?

By convention, M-n is supposed to insert _the default_.
I do not want to make exceptions to that.

We could conceivably make a second M-n insert another possible input
that one might want.  In effect, this would mean putting another
element at the "front" of the history list.  That could be a new
convention that could be generalized to other things.

Now is not the time to implement this, but I'm interested in hearing
if there are any objections to the idea.