OK, I now have a way to do this.

I searched this list again with different search terms and found a posting
that I had not seen before.  This gave me the idea of using a second org
file, into which I would put my recurring tasks.

I've now done this, and after customizing org-global-properties (for
"effort") and org-columns-default-format (to show "effort"), all seems
to be working as I wanted.  (I had previously used in-file definitions
of these, but that did not work across two org files.)