It could also be that orgmode does not come from melpa, it comes from "
http://orgmode.org/elpa/"; If you have a list of packages that get
installed, make sure org is first. Any package that requires org will
interfere with the installation of the org package.

(setq package-archives
'(("elpy" . "http://jorgenschaefer.github.io/packages/";)
("org" . "http://orgmode.org/elpa/";)
("gnu" . "http://elpa.gnu.org/packages/";)