Yep, I agree. This is a wart in the vanilla python REPL, and org-mode can't
really do much about it.  Except maybe warn people.

As John noted, this is less of a problem if you use ipython as your REPL.
I think it is enough to just do

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
(setq org-babel-python-command "ipython")

but I haven't tested this extensively since,  as I mentioned, I prefer to
use Greg Sexton's ob-ipython instead.  This integrates with the Jupyter
kernel by sending JSON to a web socket, rather than just pasting the source
block into a buffer, and that seems to be a more robust approach.

On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 10:53 AM, Nicolas Goaziou <>

> Hello,
> John Kitchin <> writes:
> > I am not sure it makes sense to change anything for this.
> Noted. Thank you for the feedback.
> Regards,
> --
> Nicolas Goaziou

  Dr William Henney, Instituto de Radioastronomía y Astrofísica,
  Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, Campus Morelia