>> Hello,
>>
>> I updated my emacs packages this morning, including org 9.0, from GNU
>> elpa. Apparently (based on other folders in my elpa installation folder),
>> my last previous update was on april 11, 2016, so the problem may not come
>> from the very latest version. Nonetheless, I didn't find any other mention
>> of it online.
>>
>> So, how does the problem appear? When I start emacs, I get the following
>> "warnings":
>>
>> > WARNING: No org-loaddefs.el file could be found from where org.el is
>> loaded.
>> > You need to run "make" or "make autoloads" from Org lisp directory
>> > Warning (initialization): An error occurred while loading
>> `(...)/.emacs.d/init.el':
>>
>> > Symbol's function definition is void: org-element-update-syntax
>>
>> For the first warning, I tried looking in the
>> ~/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20161102 folder (which is where the loaded org.el file
>> is), and it does contain org-loaddefs.el. There is no makefile, but I guess
>> that it is normal for an installation using elpa.
>>
>> The second warning is an error and blocks further evaluation of my init
>> file. For some reason though, --debug-init doesn't give any stacktrace.
>>
>> I'm using emacs 24.3.1 on linux (ubuntu 14.04).
>>

> When I try to evaluate org-loaddefs manually, I get an error "Symbol's
> function definition is void: function-put".
>
> Apparently, based on this thread [1], it can happen if I installed org
> using a more recent version of emacs than the one I am using currently. It
> was certainly the case until this morning, but I installed the update from
> this computer, and after the problem appeared, I uninstalled and
> reinstalled org, again from this computer.
>
> Replacing occurrences of function-put with put got rid of the first
> warning (the warning message could have been more helpful), but not of the
> second one.
>
> org-element-update-syntax is defined in org-element.el, so I guess it is
> another compilation problem. How can I make sure that the package is
> compiled for my version of emacs?
>
> Thibaut Verron
>
> [1] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2014-05/msg00336.html

The problem is now fixed for me. I uninstalled the package, restarted emacs
with -Q, initialized package and reinstalled from there. I had to remove
the occurrences of function-put again though.

Without -Q, it seems that there was a compilation error in org-attach.el at
line 42 (require 'org-id), related to an undefined function
"org-link-set-parameter".

Thibaut