one last thing:

I had some further trouble when I tried to turn on
org-mu4e-compose-org-mode as a hook to mu4e-compose-mode. I'm pretty sure
there's some kind of a loop related to the funky post-command-hook-setting
internal function org~mu4e-mime-switch-headers-or-body. Anyway, turning off
hte hook and applying the above hook fixed my issue.  Added a couple of
keybindings and now everything works!