You're absolutely right. The MWE I made had a nasty typo that blew
everything up! I'm sorry for the noise.

The information in the manual still looks misleading to me:

#+BEGIN_EXPORT ascii
All lines in this block will appear only when using this back-end.
#+END_EXPORT

(Taken from "12.7 ASCII/Latin-1/UTF-8 export")

This doesn't seem to be related to verbatim text.