Hi Eric,

On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 10:39 AM, Eric S Fraga <e.fr...@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:

> On Thursday, 16 Mar 2017 at 07:55, Carsten Dominik wrote:
> > Dear all,
> >
> > I have just pushed (to master) a patch that modifies the use
> > of date trees in capture templates.
>
> [...]
>
> > For the time being, the old targets will be automatically translated
> > and used correctly. When you use customize to change
> > org-capture-templates, things will automatically be updated next time
> > you change the variable.  The recommendation is to go and update your
> > templates, in case at some time in the future, we might remove the
> > compatibility layer.
>
> Carsten,
>
> would you please post an example of the new format for those that don't
> use customize for capture templates?  An example equivalent to the
> current behaviour would be welcome.
>
> For instance, my current diary appointment capture entry looks like this:
>
>  ("d" "diary" entry
>    (file+datetree "~/s/notes/diary.org")
>    "* %^{Appointment} %^G\n%^{Date + time}T"
>    :immediate-finish t)

This case turns into

("d" "diary" entry
   (file+olp+datetree "~/s/notes/diary.org")
   "* %^{Appointment} %^G\n%^{Date + time}T"
   :immediate-finish t)

so you only need to change the symbol from file+datetree to
file+olp+datetree

If you were using a week tree, the symbol you'd still use file+olp+datetree
but also set the property

    :tree-type week

If you are using one of the ....+prompt version, you would instead set the
property

   :time-prompt t

That is all.

If you want to specify an outline path, these are just additional strings
after the file name, for example

("d" "diary" entry
   (file+olp+datetree "~/s/notes/diary.org" "Heading 1" "Subheading"
"subsubheading")
   "* %^{Appointment} %^G\n%^{Date + time}T"
   :immediate-finish t)

Does that answer your question?

Carsten