This is indeed useful, thanks.

I think this may be best done by some startup code, which when installing
org-plus-contrib with require-package, deletes any existing org package,
and makes this dummy org package.

Would it be useful if such code appeared within the org-plus-contrib
package itself, so we could have this sort of usage in our .emacs:

(require-package 'org-plus-contrib)
(org-plus-contrib-remove-and-stub-org-pkg)

I'm not particularly attached to the name, but you get the point.

What do you think?

cheers,
Simon