@Paul Do you have similar config? I use it to enable flycheck in editing temp src buffer.

   (defadvice org-edit-src-code (around set-buffer-file-name activate
   compile)
      (let ((file-name (buffer-file-name)))
        ad-do-it
        (setq buffer-file-name file-name)))

On 12/22/2017 06:39 AM, Paul Davis wrote:

Turns out that the issue was caused by trying to disable a flycheck checker using the org edit src hook

On Mon, Dec 18, 2017, 6:30 AM Nicolas Goaziou <m...@nicolasgoaziou.fr <mailto:m...@nicolasgoaziou.fr>> wrote:

    Hello,

    Paul Davis <paul.dangersa...@gmail.com
    <mailto:paul.dangersa...@gmail.com>> writes:

    > Using ~C-c '~ to edit a src block works as expected, but if I make
    > changes and use ~C-c '~ again, I get the error ~Cannot modify an
    area
    > being edited in a dedicated buffer~

    I need more information. Where do you make changes? In the newly
    created
    buffer? Where do you call ~C-c '~?

    For example, I created the following buffer

        #+begin_src emacs-lisp
          (+ 1 2)
        #+end_src

    moved on the source block, used C-c '. Then, in the new buffer,
    I replaced 2 with 3 and pressed C-c ' again, without any error?

    IOW, could you provide a precise recipe demonstrating the issue?

    Thank you.

    Regards,

    --
    Nicolas Goaziou