On Tue, Jan 30, 2018 at 3:15 PM, Samuel Wales <samolog...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/30/18, Nicolas Goaziou <m...@nicolasgoaziou.fr> wrote:
>> With local ring, you do, not with global one. That is standard Emacs
>> behaviour.
>
> does this constitute a change in org behavior?  i'd want the same
> behavior as now.  it would be confusing to follow a link, then follow
> another link in the same buffer, then go back globally, and end up not
> in the original place [or even the same buffer].

It does change org behavior, since the native mark ring
distinguishes local from global, whereas org-mark-ring does not.
With the proposed change, there won't be a single
org-mark-ring-goto, you would have to make sure you call the
right command out of pop-to-mark-command or pop-global-mark.

As a counterpoint, it is not entirely without precedent to
implement our own mark ring. xref.el also has its own "marker"
ring.

Maybe there should be a standard specialized marker ring macro in
Emacs, then org and xref (and others) can use it.