If it is a one-time conversion, it might be worthwhile just replacing the
index terms with something temporary, getting to the org-file, and then
putting them back in the right way. For example, you could replace each
term with a uuid, and keep a list that maps the uuid to the term. Then the
uuid would pass through the pandoc untouched, and afterwards, go back
through and replace the uuid with the #+INDEX entries.

I don't know if that is worth the effort, but it might get you a faster
org-doc than bug reporting :)

John

Professor John Kitchin
Doherty Hall A207F