Hello,

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. I've created another init file just for async-export, and not only have I got it to work, but it's also quite a lot faster than it used to be.

All that remains now is to find a way to re-write my function. My knowledge of elisp if fairly limited, and I don't see how to communicate with the background process other than by writing the value of my toggle-variable to a file. I guess I could also make a modularise async-init.el and control which module is loaded from the main init.el.

At any rate, thank you for your prompt reply.

Best,