Hi,

This isn't about Org, but about me wanting other things to behave like
Org.

To get folding in Perl programs I have cargo-cult-copied the
outline-based set-up here

  https://github.com/villadora/emacs-config/blob/master/modes.el

In particular I have:

  ;; CPerl mode hook
  (setq cperl-mode-hook 'my-cperl-customizations)

  (defun my-cperl-customizations ()
    "cperl-mode customizations that must be done after cperl-mode loads"
    (outline-minor-mode)
    (abbrev-mode)
    (defun cperl-outline-level ()
      (looking-at outline-regexp)
      (let ((match (match-string 1)))
        (cond
         ((eq match "=head1" ) 1)
         ((eq match "package") 2)
         ((eq match "=head2" ) 3)
         ((eq match "=item"  ) 4)
         ((eq match "sub"    ) 5)
         (t 7)
         )))
    (setq cperl-outline-regexp  my-cperl-outline-regexp)
    (setq outline-regexp        cperl-outline-regexp)
    (setq outline-level        'cperl-outline-level)
    )

My expectation was that if I have

  =head2 STUFF
  =over
  =item foo
  Do foo
  =cut
  sub foo {
    return 'foo';
  }

I should be able to fold to

  =head2 STUFF...

but instead I just can only fold to, say

  =head2 STUFF...
  =item foo
  Do foo
  =cut
  sub foo {
    return 'foo';
  }

i.e. the hierarchy, which I thought gets defined by 'outline-level'
doesn't seem to work.

I do have

  (add-hook 'outline-minor-mode-hook 'outshine-hook-function)

to get tab-cycling, but maybe this is screwing things up.

Any thoughts or other approaches?

Cheers,

Loris