I've been able to implement the functionality I wanted using a buffer-local
variable in an org-mode hook:

> (defun bl/completion-use-ido ()
>   "Set the current buffer's completing read engine to IDO."
>   (setq-local completing-read-function #'ido-completing-read))

(add-hook 'org-mode-hook 'bl/completion-use-ido)

I think that works for me, but I'm open to a better suggestion if there is
one. In any case, I think re-enabling the functionality that was removed
with the "org-completion-use-ido" function should be documented somewhere.