I also re-read my initial question and your response *does* address my
mis phrased question.  To rephrase my question, I have a table
with these values:

| heading col 0  | heading col 1 |
| ------------------ | ----------------- |
| A                   | B
| C                  | D

I found the org-table-toggle-coordinate-overlays
which displays an overlay showing the row number:

https://www.evernote.com/l/AOJvD5ty6RRIBYAcSWV-047CKCHT5NIAhl8

I would like to know if there's a way to influence
org-table-toggle-coordinate-overlays
(e.g. some flag like "don't count rows before headings")

Thanks,
--Nate