Timothy <tecos...@gmail.com> writes:

> Once again, thanks for taking the time to respond. I can assure you
> that it's much appreciated :)

You're welcome.

> By item filter, I assume you are referring to
> org-export-filter-item-functions. That looks quite promising. I just tried a
> minimal function to testit
> (defun tec/org-export-latex-fancy-item-checkboxes (text backend info)
>     (pp text)
>     "")
> However, I must admit I find myself somewhat overwhelmed by the
> output:

You asked for it, though, using `pp'.

   #("string" X Y (properties))

is just a string, with properties attached. If you simply return `text',
you will only see

  "string"

> I've tried applying a simple regex replace, which produces
> a satisfactory output though, so perhaps I'll just ignore all the
> 'extra stuff' above.

Exactly. The "extra stuff" is there for more advanced uses, when you
need information about the surrounding of the string you are going to
change.

> *
> I still feel that it would be nicer to have the body of this cl-case (from
> org-latex-item) be a variable, but I'm quite happy to have a working solution!
>        (checkbox (cl-case (org-element-property :checkbox item)
>                    (on "$\\boxtimes$")
>                    (off "$\\square$")
>                    (trans "$\\boxminus$")))

Maybe. OTOH, Org has already so many variables…

> Lastly, might you be able to shed any light on the feasibility of my desire
> to adjust the generation of HTML headers? I'm specifically looking to insert
> an element like this within the <h?> ... </h?> block:m
> <a id="user-content-caveats-qa-etc-etc" class="anchor"
> aria-hidden="true" href="#theHeaderID">(Link Icon)</a>

I don't know HTML enough to help you. You may want to look into headline
and section filters.