Colin Baxter writes:

>     > Hello, I have various .tex files and an org file in the same
>     > directory. In the org file is the following simple bash babel-code
>
>     > #+begin_src bash sha256sum *.tex > CHECKSUM #+end_src
>

>     > This code block used to work but no longer.
>
> This is not wholly correct. It does indeed produce a checksum file
> CHECKSUM, but gives the "Error reading results:
> (beginning-of-buffer)". No such error was called in the past (~ a month or
> so ago).

Thanks for reporting.  The _display_ of this warning starts with my
14878f3f9 (ob-core: Display warning on failure to read results,
2020-05-21).  Here's the associated thread on the mailing list:
<https://orgmode.org/list/2449663.1588516...@apollo2.minshall.org>.

On that commit's parent (eecee2266), the error is triggered and caught
in the same way, but "Error reading results: (beginning-of-buffer)" is
buried in the messages buffer rather than being displayed as a warning.

I'll need to take a closer look at what's going on, though I wouldn't be
surprised if it's been around for a long time.