> Can I tell Org mode to don't change editing back
> and forth, also don't collapse items in and out,
> i.e. virtually text mode, only I still want the
> font lock and to be able to use the mode to set
> keys, the functions to compile into a PDF, and
> so forth.

Here is part of an IRC conversation that perhaps
clarifies what I mean... (the last sentence should
not be seen as a threat BTW :))

    <rogim> incal: that "Outliner" feature (i.e.
            collpasing and replacing things) is more
            or less the core of org-mode. emacs being
            emacs I bet you can disable it. but it
            would be completely braindead. in the
            true sense of the word. you would
            lobotmoize emacs.

    <incal> well, one can easily think of outliner
            features for HTML, CSS, LaTeX, even
            source code for every programming
            language, and I never used it for
            anything else

    <incal> so I guess I have always been braindead :)

    <rogim> I get what you mean, I don't use code
            folding like this anywhere else.
            it's just annoying with code.
            but org-mode is really about organzing
            information in a tree and collapsing
            parts of it and maybe moving things
            around. so if you don't need it, org-mode
            might be the wrong tool there. then again
            emacs can be adapt for everyone ofc

    <incal> what I was looking for was a way to
            typeset that had a less involved syntax
            than LaTeX, to be able to create simple
            PDFs, somewhere between plain text and
            LaTeX. I asked on gmane.emacs.orgmode ,
            if they cannot solve it I'll just
            `require' org, apply the org-mode's
            font-lock to a text-mode buffer, and use
            `org-latex-export-to-pdf'

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573