Frédéric Santos <frederic.san...@u-bordeaux.fr> writes:

Le 2020-09-15 à 11:15:48 CEST, Thomas Stenhaug a écrit :

I recently had the same problem, on Arch Linux with Emacs 27.1. If you run xdg-open from an eshell, the problem should be the same. It should
also go away if you replace "xdg-open" with "setsid xdg-open".

I ended up doing

  (push '("\\.pdf\\'" . "evince %s") org-file-apps)

to solve it for my case.

Hi Thomas (and others),

Thanks for your answer! This does work... in some way. In the sense that it manages to open evince to read the PDF outside of Emacs; but this does not restore (of course) the "normal" behavior of =C-c C-e l o= to
display the PDF in a dedicated Emacs buffer.

I'm also on Arch/Manjaro, this might play a role... But it's not a big deal anyway (and I've actually written a simple workaround in Elisp to
display and revert the associated PDF in its side window).

Ah, in that case

   (push '("\\.pdf\\''" . emacs))

might be what you're looking for.

Best regards,