Ok, it turned out the url http functions also showed up when I was
trying to update packages. It seems I'm suffering from this bug:
https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/60560/error-retrieving-https-elpa-gnu-org-packages-archive-contents-error-http-400
and perhaps for some reason when opening the file through ivy, emacs
tried to update a package?

Anyway, I updated to emacs 27.1 to fix that particular bug, but the
file still loads very slowly. I'll report this to the ivy developers.