Daniele Nicolodi <dani...@grinta.net> writes:

> On 17/11/2020 19:41, Boruch Baum wrote:
>> A little over a month ago, I submitted several bug reports related to
>> org-mode, and sor most of them haven't seen any action whatsoever, not
>> even an indication that they were noticed. In many cases, I provided
>> either a total solution or a suggested implementation of a solution.
>>
>> BUG REPORT: 42484
>
> I haven't investigated further than reading this email, but the fact
> that you are including what look like debbug numbers suggests that you
> reported those bugs against Emacs.
>
> Org is mostly developed outside Emacs and has an independent release
> cycle. Emacs syncs irregularly with the latest released version of Org.

I was completely unaware of this. I also used to report bugs via emacs'
report-emacs-bug fascility.

Moreover, I am building emacs from `master' everyday and assuming
everything is latest on this. If Org is a different beast then probably
we should do two things:

1. Remove Org from built-in packages and distribute only via ELPA

2. And have a completely separate infrastructure for development,
mailing-lists, bug reports. This we already have. But we should follow
convention so that it is easier for user to report-org-bugs.

> Bug report affecting the latest release of Org can be submitted to this
> mailing list. This is also the best way to make them known to the Org
> developers and maintainer.

I don't know how the tracking works if bugs are reported in a mailing
list.

> I don't think anyone here really looks into
> bugs reported to the Emacs debbugs instance: time is limited and the
> version of Org distributed with Emacs is very often not the most current
> one, thus the bug reports may anyhow not be relevant anyhow.
>
> I suggest you to try to reproduce these bugs with the latest Org release
> (or the latest snapshot from Org ELPA) and report on this list if the
> problems persist, see `org-submit-bug-report'.

I am trying to use `use-package' for package management via the init
file. And when I do (use-package org :ensure t) it doesn't install the
latest. It uses the builtin package only. Is this a bug in emacs,
use-package or elpa?