Timothy <tecos...@gmail.com> writes:

Thomas S. Dye <tsd@tsdye.online> writes:

Hmmm, what constitutes noise?

Good question. I suppose like most words the meaning changes over time. Early on, posts along the lines of "Wouldn't it be cool if Org mode would do this?" were given more space than they seem to be today. Tim Cross points out a project trajectory that appears to be common and would explain why. At a more
concrete level, I can offer several of my posts to the list :)

Follow up: What should be the response to "noise", because I don't think
it should be a cold shoulder.

Agreed. I'm trying to put myself in the maintainers' shoes. They volunteer lots of highly skilled time, which I admire greatly. I can imagine a situation where a patch falls outside a maintainer's interest and they have difficulty finding the time to understand it and offer a meaningful critique.

Historical note: when Carsten took his leave and announced Bastien would maintain Org mode, I jumped in noisily to suggest that a committee approach might be better. I couldn't imagine a world with two Carstens! It appears there is a committee of sorts now, though I'm in the dark how it is organized. Assuming there is a committee, perhaps addition of an Initial Patch Reviewer might be a good idea?

All the best,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye