* Tim Cross <theophil...@gmail.com> [2021-05-03 01:39]:
> This is  exactly what headline-data does. I suspect what your running
> into is electric-indent-mode and you need to turn it off to get the
> behaviour you want. So set org-adapt-indentation to hedline-data and
> turn off electric-indent-mode and you will get the indentation style you
> are after.
>
> The issue here isn't that org-adapt-indentation changed. The issue is
> that the effect of this setting changed when org mode was updated to be
> consistent with the rest of emacs and honour electric-indent-mode, which
> is enabled by default in emacs. Previously, org ignored this wider Emacs
> default setting.

I got it after Bastien explained it.

I am just not sure if right settings should be like this:

(add-hook 'org-mode-hook (lambda () (electric-indent-mode 0)))
(add-hook 'org-mode-hook (lambda () (setq org-adapt-indentation 'heading-data)))

I understand from debate that changed was brought to make it
consistent with Emacs and users have already got habits. IMHO change
was made rather for the sake of computer program as quite number of
people like it different.

> I'm not sure the full impact of enabling electric-indent-mode was
> realised at the time. With org, I think the general principal is to try
> and have defaults set to the 'least surprising' value, particularly for
> new users.
> --
> Tim Cross

That is it.