I would not use a prefix arg here. you should just check what is at the
point, and if it is a citation then append it after the citation at point,
and if not insert a new one (maybe after moving the point to an appropriate
place if needed).

John

Professor John Kitchin (he/him/his)
Doherty Hall A207F