On 14/08/2021 22:06, Juan Manuel Macías wrote:

I would like to submit a patch to add smart quotes for Greek in
`org-export-smart-quotes-alist', but I have a couple of questions.

First of all, I am not a native speaker of Greek

Disclaimer: I am not a Greek speaker at all.

Yannis Haralambous explains in "From Unicode to
Typography, a Case Study: the Greek Script" (1999, p. 20:
http://web.archive.org/web/20120229131933/http://omega.enstb.org/yannis/pdf/boston99.pdf).

Fortunately these quotes are provided by the Unicode standard (*U+201F*
and U+201D, the latter being the same closing double quotes as in
English);

There is no Greek page for
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quotation_mark
As to English page, notice
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quotation_mark#Summary_table
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quotation_mark#Greek
sections. It cites
http://publications.europa.eu/code/el/el-4100107el.htm
that uses “ U+0201C (“, &lquo;, or &lquot;) and ” U+0201D (&#8221, &rquo;, or &rquot;) as inner quotes. If it is acceptable to use this pair, LaTeX commands likely may be \textquotedblleft and \textquotedblright (or simply `` and ''). I have not noticed anything more appropriate in "The Comprehensive LATEX Symbol List". Even https://www.ctan.org/pkg/babel-greek does not suggest proper way for inner quotes.

Even if precise variant is uncertain, maybe any reasonable choice is better than currently used defaults. Anyway it may be corrected later.

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(secondary-opening :utf-8 "‟" :html "‟;" :latex "??" :texinfo "??")
#+end_src

It seems, there is no named entity for U+0201F
https://html.spec.whatwg.org/multipage/named-characters.html#named-character-references

For some unclear reason (there is a badge requesting references), Russian page
https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Кавычки
mentions
- «…» as usually used outer,
- ‹…› as usually used inner,