Ihor Radchenko <yanta...@gmail.com> writes:

> Greg Minshall <minsh...@umich.edu> writes:
>
>> wasn't there also some talk a while back about whatever form'ish
>> technology "magit" uses?  my sense was it provides something similar to
>> Emacs forms.
>
> To clarify, I am not aware about Emacs forms (unless you refer to
> widgets used in customize interface). Magit uses transient which is one
> of the possible completion interfaces in Emacs.

Yes, Emacs Forms is part of Emacs and provides an interface for
collecting data - either it is based on Emacs widgets or something very
similar. Very much like old 'form' data entry interfaces we use to see
on terminals in the 80s. A bit like ncurses with a little 'window'
decoration.

Transient on the other hand is a UI library for getting user input where
the options are a little too complex/large for the more common input
methods - for example, it could be a good candidate for the export
'menu'. which I find can be very frustrating on a smaller screen when
you have lots of defined export back-ends.