Alan E. Davis wrote:
I don't understand why I do not see "section" or "subsection", and the sections often come out with bare stars. Is this also because the number of levels has been exceeded?

Are you, by any chance, using a top-level org file with
#+INCLUDE lines?  If so, you need to put at least one
line with a single start before the include directives.  I had
a similar problem in the past and this solved my problem.

That is:

* Introduction
#+INCLUDE "abc.org"
#+INCLUDE "def.org"

Each of the included org files can have their own top-level headlines
and these are turned into the appropriate LaTeX sectioning commands.

Mark