Hi  Eric,

>> text
>> 1+1=3
>> text
>>
>> is a single paragraph in LaTeX.

> This is true and probably the most convincing argument in this debate.

I can’t help but think that this line of thinking is a bit of a trap, because
what LaTeX’s idea of a paragraph does not line up with Org’s. I think the more
pertinent consideration is that `\[ ... \]' changes LaTeX into vertical mode,
which does not allow for any other content on the ’line’ — which is far
closer to Org’s concept of a block element than an inline element.

Frankly, I think the issue is that the semantics of `\[ ... \]' simply don’t
play
well with Org. Unfortunately, due to the Org/LaTeX difference I don’t see any
ideologically “pure” way we can have it in Org. The most idiomatic solution
would be to just remove support for `\[ ... \]' *. Otherwise, we have to treat
`\[ ... \]' specially in if we want ’sensible’ behaviour — as I mention in my
reply to Nicolas, we’re already parsing it differently to other inline markup…

All the best,
Timothy

* However, I am not advocating for this: There’s both the obvious comparability
  issue, but I also rather like using `\[ ... \]' myself.