Malcolm,
I also ran into troubles which are similar, apparently due to mixed org-mode versions; we've got to load org-mode before emacs tries to do it for us or we get mixed stuff.

My resolution was to load the org-mode path first in my init.el file and then require org:

   (add-to-list 'load-path "/home/dortmann/src/git-org-mode/lisp")
   (require 'org)

And then I build with something like this:

   dortmann@ddo-linux:src$ cd ~/src/git-org-contrib/ && git pull && cd
   ~/src/git-org-mode/ && git pull && make all && make autoloads && cd
   ~/src/git-emacs-master/ && git pull && make all && sudo -H make
   install && cd ..

Then only an occasional 'make bootstrap' is required in the emacs build dir.