Kyle Meyer <k...@kyleam.com> writes:

>> This patch autoloads `org-assert-version'.
>
> I don't understand the rationale behind this.

It was my naive attempt at fixing the "invalid-function
org-assert-version" error several people reported.

> Every spot that calls
> org-assert-version is preceded by a line that requires org-macs, so
> isn't this error likely due to a mixed installation/load-path issue
> where the wrong/older org-macs is taking precedence?

Yes: I thought `org-assert-version' job was to help catching mixed
installations, so my reasoning was that, even when an old org-macs
version has been loaded, autoloading `org-assert-version' would help
report about mixed installation.

Also you're right about org-loaddefs.el, we should keep it.

That said, do you have any idea how to fix the bug people encounter
when installing Org from ELPA and being bitten by "invalid-function
org-assert-version"?

--
 Bastien