Stephen Eglen <sj...@cam.ac.uk> writes:

> Checking the source, I see line 77 of org-macs.el has
>
>      (straight-use-package 'org)
>
> so I'm not sure what the fix is, but does anyone have any ideas on
> providing a warning that uses the correct quote character?

The correct character is the usual 7-bit single quote, i.e., the line
you have here correct.

My straight.el setup is done in early-init.el rather than in .emacs. I
also have (straight-use-package 'org) in early-init.el to make sure that
org version I want (which is the one installed by straight.el) is used.
I've had this setup for years, and I have never run into another org
mode getting installed by package.el to cause problems.