Ihor, I am sorry, but I sent this message off-list at first.

On 04/04/2023 20:29, Ihor Radchenko wrote:

Sure. Anything Emacs devs can act on. If you can prove that the problem
is in Emacs source code, we can report it in
https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=59882 and let Emacs devs
fix things.

I do not expect any result that may be useful for Emacs dev. I hope, the code added to emacs-29 branch fixes the issue. Outcome may be helpful for choosing better variant of `org-assert-version' and for demystifying causes why you can not reproduce it in gentoo.

This looks like
https://orgmode.org/list/jwvsfkv5s7l.fsf-monnier+em...@gnu.org

I have not looked into make rules used in Emacs source tree, but I expect it is another issue. I do not like that elisp can not generate list of dependencies during compilation similar to "gcc -MD". Otherwise I do not see a way to implement incremental rebuild if stale .elc files are preferred to updated .el sources by `require'.

But Emacs >26 + package-install specifically arranges unloading the
older version of the library.

What changes are you writing about? I mean `package--reload-previously-loaded' https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=59882#71

9dfd945a2c2 2021-11-07 01:28:47 +0100 dickmao: Fix byte compilation of package built-ins

and I do not see similar changes even in Emacs-28.