Ruijie Yu via "General discussions about Org-mode."
<emacs-orgmode@gnu.org> writes:

> What is the expected major mode for orgweb/publish.sh?  When I open it,
> I see it is in `shell-script-mode'.  This is what I see in
> orgweb/publish.sh:

> #!/usr/bin/env sh
>
> ":" ; exec emacs --quick --script "$0" -- "$@" # -*- mode: emacs-lisp;
> lexical-binding: t; -*-

The mode is technically shell-script. The file is using shell script
magic to write foreign language (Elisp) script inline.

> When I remove the empty line 2 and run `normal-mode', the file now opens
> in `emacs-lisp-mode'.  I have a sneaking suspicion that
> `emacs-lisp-mode' is the expected major mode for this file, because
> there is also the `lexical-binding' variable declaration on the property
> line, which has no effects when the major mode is shell.

You can do either way, depending on which part of the script you want to edit.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,