I load org-mode directly from my local copy of the org-mode git
repository and update on the fly. It works well, until today.

After an initial 'pull', 'make clean' and 'make', I 'cd' to lisp and 'rm
*.elc'. I then updated from an org-mode buffer, successfully. I 'make
clean' again followed by 'make'. I then did a further update from an
org-mode buffer. The second update was successfully loaded, and
subsequent launches of emacs cause no errors. However, I did initially
receive the following warning:

 It is recommended to put

    (straight-use-package 'org)

   early in the config.  Ideally, right after the straight.el
   bootstrap.  Moving `use-package' :straight declaration may not be
   sufficient if the corresponding `use-package' statement is
   deferring the loading.

I do not use "packages" nor "straight", so why the recommendation? My
method works perfectly well. As well as the above warning, the debugger
clicked in with an "Org version mismatch" error. The path to org-mode is
already loaded early (very early) in my ~/.emacs.

After the update, I received no further warnings or errors from emacs,
from both the active and subsequent sessions. In my opinion, all the
update warnings were essentially wrong and unnecessary. So why are
they there?

Colin.