On 25/07/2023 14:43, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
"Rick Lupton" writes:
 >> Now, with `org-id-link-to-org-use-id' set to `inherit`, "H2" is not
modified, and the resulting link is `[[id:abc::*H2][H2]]`, which will
still take you to the same place as long as the sub-heading is unique
within the parent heading with an ID.

What about inherited CUSTOM_ID?

I am not excited by the idea of extending id links for heading hierarchy. From my point of view it is more natural to add the ID property to the heading that should be link target.

Sometimes I do not mind to disambiguate heading search link by specifying title of its ancestor. I usually add the CUSTOM_ID property or rename heading to be unique.

I am afraid that allowing arbitrary link types to specify path to an element is overkill. It is not XPath and not CSS selectors.