John Wiegley wrote:
>David Maus <dm...@ictsoc.ed> writes:

>> Again, forgot to mention: Patch is available on

>David, Can you please explain for me the rationale behind this change?

Sure: The problem is, that `w3m-anchor' is not a function, but a
macro.  So it must be present when byte compiling org-w3m.el to be
properly expanded.  Declaring it an external function via
`declare-function' shuts up the byte compiler but seems to place a
function call into the byte compiled code that fails in runtime
because `w3m-anchor' isn't a function.

This results in error when using byte compiled Org mode.[1]

HTH
  -- David

[1] http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/25348
--