Bastien,

Thanks, I hadn't checked the value of org-auto-realign-tags before looking
at org-capture.  But unfortunately that doeesn't solve the problem for me,
the tags just aren't realigning.  (org-auto-realign-tags is set true by
default in my reference branch.)  My capture output still looks like this:

* Headline :tag:
stuff here

Tags align normally for only after adding that line to org-capture.

Best,
Mark