Hi John,

when you look into gnuplot-ob.el, there are some commentary about
requirements:

#+begin_example
;;; Requirements:

;; - gnuplot :: http://www.gnuplot.info/
;;
;; - gnuplot-mode :: http://cars9.uchicago.edu/~ravel/software/gnuplot-mode.html
#+end_example

The 3.7 most probably is from the gnuplot-mode. The file gnuplot-mode.el tries
to determine the version number, and I guess this doesn't work for version
numbers with more than one dot (e.g. 4.4.2).

Best regards
Robert